A divorce is simply the legal ending of a marriage and is achieved by way of an application to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia.
An Application for a Divorce can be made jointly or by one of the parties to the marriage. Providing arrangements have been made for the care of any children under 18 the divorce application may be able to be dealt with by the courts without any court appearances.
The court will grant the application for a divorce providing they are satisfied:
- The parties were legally married;
- There is no prospect of reconciliation; and
- The parties have been separated for 12 months.
(* There are additional requirements where parties have been married for less than 2 years.)
Ward Keller’s family law team can assist you with obtaining a divorce, including
- Preparing and filing a joint divorce application;
- Preparing and filing a sole divorce application;
- Attending the divorce hearing for you (where required);
- Locating and serving your ex-spouse;
- Preparing affidavits when required by the court
Our family law team offers an initial consultation at a reduced cost of $200 for the first 30 minutes. Any costs beyond the initial consultation will be discussed with you at the conclusion of your attendance.
To make the most of your initial consultation, please use our sophisticated online system to learn about how we can assist you, and, crucially, to provide us with some background information about your circumstances. This will enable us to meaningfully answer your questions, provide advice, and discuss your options.