Property settlements

Following the breakdown of a relationship or marriage the parties will need to work out how to divide their property and debts. This does not always mean going to Court. In fact, we often help separated parties to negotiate an agreement without even needing to apply to Court.

If an agreement has been reached, it is always advisable to obtain Consent Orders recording that agreement. In circumstances where a spouse is transferring property to the other spouse pursuant to Consent Orders or an order of the Court, the spouse acquiring the property will usually not pay stamp duty on the transfer. This can represent a saving of thousands of dollars.

If the parties cannot reach an agreement they may need to apply to the Family Law Courts for an order. Ward Keller’s family law team have significant experience in both the Federal Circuit Court and Family Court of Australia.

We assist parties resolve everything from the simplest of property matters to complex financial settlements involving corporate structures, companies, discretionary and unit trusts and self-managed superannuation funds.

We can also provide advice to third parties who find themselves involved in the Family Law System.  These can include parents of a separating party who have lent money to their child, co-owners of property and directors and/or shareholders of companies.

Ward Keller’s family law team can assist you with your property settlement.

Our family law team offers an initial telephone consultation at a reduced cost of $200 for the first 30 minutes. Any costs beyond the initial consultation will be discussed with you at the conclusion of your attendance.

To make the most of your initial consultation, please use our sophisticated online system to learn about how we can assist you, and, crucially, to provide us with some background information about your circumstances. This will enable us to meaningfully answer your questions, provide advice, and discuss your options.

If you would like to make an appointment for an initial consultation please contact Yasmin Osborne on 89462982, or make a start online.

Got a quick legal question or just want some direction on a legal issue?

Try our free Ask a lawyer service on Facebook.