After six years at another Darwin firm, Melissa Yates joined Ward Keller in October 2017.
She has particular expertise wills and estates, including estate litigation and has a Masters degree in this area. She also teaches the Succession Law subject for undergraduate law students at Charles Darwin University.
Melissa also has substantial Supreme Court litigation experience involving high value, complex, construction disputes (especially adjudication appeals pursuant to the Construction Contracts (Security of Payments) Act 2004 (NT)) in addition to experience in insolvency matters.
Before moving to Darwin in 2011, Melissa was a solicitor at a firm in Queensland, where she used her previous accounting qualifications and experience in commercial and conveyancing practice.
Melissa loves to travel with her partner Matt (a chef) and to indulge in all the culinary delights the world has to offer. They regularly travel down to Melbourne and Sydney for food festivals and to dine in award-winning restaurants for Matt’s “research and development”.
Areas of Law
- wills and estates planning
- estate administration
- estate litigation
- construction litigation
- civil litigation
Qualifications & Memberships
- Bachelor of Laws, Queensland University of Technology (2003)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Biotechnology), Queensland University of Technology (2003)
- Masters in Professional Accounting, University of Southern Queensland (2006)
- Masters of Law (Wills and Estates), College of Law (2015)
- admitted to practise in Queensland (2007)
- admitted to practise in the Northern Territory (2011)
- admitted to practise in the High Court of Australia (2007)