Michael Grove looks after, with Kaliopi Hourdas, the firm’s dispute resolution practice.
He has considerable expertise, developed over 25 years of legal practice, in workers compensation, employment law and complex litigation (mainly in regulatory compliance and government decision-making).
Michael started legal work in 1994 as a barrister in Victoria. Two years later, he moved to Darwin with his partner, Brenda, and joined Ward Keller. He was made a partner of the firm in 2000. In 2005, Michael returned to his hometown, Launceston in Tasmania, where he practised law for three years before re-joining Ward Keller in 2009.
In regulatory compliance and government decision-making, Michael supports his clients in government law regarding employment, revenue, workplace health and safety and environmental regulation.
In employment law, Michael assists his clients in disputes arising out of termination of employment, the application of discrimination legislation, and representation in employment tribunals and courts, and advising on workplace investigations.
In the twenty-first century, Michael has acted for Northern Territory workers regarding their disputed workers compensation claims.
Areas of Law
- workers compensation
- employment law
- government law
- regulatory compliance
- liquor licensing
Qualifications & Memberships
- Bachelor of Laws, Australian National University
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Tasmania
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours, 1st class), Griffith University
- Admitted as a legal practitioner in Victoria (1993), Northern Territory (1996), Tasmania (2005) and New Zealand (2009)
- Cost Assessor (NT)
- Member of the Australian Institute of Administrative Law
- Member of the Australian Lawyers Alliance
- Member of the International Commission of Jurists, Victoria
- Member of the Law Society Northern Territory