Following the breakdown of a relationship or marriage parents will need to work out the living arrangements of their children. It is always advisable to obtain either a parenting plan, or a parenting order recording those arrangements from the Family Law Courts. Parenting orders can be obtained either by Consent Orders or by an application to the court if the parents cannot agree. As the name suggests a parenting order is a set of orders made by a court about parenting arrangements for a child.
A parenting order may deal with:
- who the child will live with;
- how much time the child will spend with each parent and with other people, such as grandparents;
- the allocation of parental responsibility, which is the power to make decisions about major, long term issues affecting the child;
- how the child will communicate with a parent they do not live with, or other people; and/or
- any other aspect of the care, welfare or development of the child.
Ward Keller’s family law team can assist you to obtain a parenting plan or parenting order either by agreement or by an application to the Family Law Courts.
Our family law team offers an initial telephone consultation at a reduced cost $200 for the first 30 minutes. Any costs beyond the initial consultation will be discussed with you at the conclusion of your attendance.
To make the most of your initial consultation, please use our sophisticated online system to learn about how we can assist you, and, crucially, to provide us with some background information about your circumstances. This will enable us to meaningfully answer your questions, provide advice, and discuss your options.